102, G. S. Rakovski St.
1040 Sofia, Bulgaria
telephone: +359/ 2/ 9859 2350
The main purpose of the Directorate is to support the Minister of Finance in the coordination and harmonization of the financial management and control and internal audit in the public sector organizations. The Directorate conducts, coordinates and controls the State policy in the field of financial management and control and internal audit and liaises with the European Commission in this sphere.
The main tasks of the Internal Control Directorate are to elaborate, update and improve the methodology in the field of financial management and control and internal audit in accordance with the internationally accepted standards for financial management and control and internal audit and the best practices of the European Union. It is responsible for the preparation of a consolidated annual report on the state of internal control in the public sector, which summarizes the annual reports on financial management and control and on internal audit. The report has to be delivered to the Minister of Finance every year by 31 May.
The Directorate liaises and cooperates with similar structures abroad and with public organizations in the country, dealing with internal control and promotion of the profession of internal auditor.
The Directorate supports the Minister of Finance in exercising his powers under the Financial Management and Control in the Public Sector Act and the Public Sector Internal Audit Act.
Financial Management and Control Central Harmonization Unit Division:
- Elaborates standards, manuals and methodologies in connection with the building, maintenance and updating of the financial management and control systems in accordance with the internationally accepted standards for internal control;
- Provides methodological assistance to the managers in the development of risk management policies and standard models, offers adequate and cost-effective control activities, management of the information and communication systems, and proper and sustainable monitoring and reporting systems;
- Carries out monitoring and analysis of the financial management and control systems in the public sector organizations and prepares an annual report on their status.
- Coordinates and assists the delivery of vocational training in the field of financial management and control and managerial accountability.
Internal Audit Central Harmonization Unit Division:
- Elaborates a single methodology for internal audit in the public sector organizations;
- Supports the activities of the internal audit units by elaborating guidelines for annual planning, as well as standard auditor's report forms;
- Maintains a database of the internal audit units, including their statutes
- Sets up and maintains a register of the certified auditors and of the auditors, who have successfully passed the exam for internal auditor in the public sector;
- Monitors the implementation of the international internal auditing standards and the code of ethics of internal auditors in the organizations - spending units under the central and municipal budgets, as well as spending units of extra budgetary funds and under european union funds and programs;
- Coordinates and assists the delivery of vocational training to internal audit managers and to internal auditors in the public sector organizations.